About the Museum

The House-Museum of the Roerich Family is situated in the eastern part of Ulaanbaatar, in the Bayanzurkh District, where the former Russian consular township was settled.  The Museum itself is the quaint wooden house where the Roerich family lived from September 1926 to March 1927, during the Central Asian Expedition.

The house fell into decay during the intervening eighty years and required major repairs.  Dr. Shagdaryn Bira– the famous academician, head of the Roerich Society of Mongolia and the student of Yuri Nikolaevich Roerich—initiated reconstruction of the run-down house and created the House-Museum of Roerich.  He contacted the City Hall of Ulaanbaatar on behalf of the International Union of Mongolists and the Mongolian Roerich Association requesting to keep the house where the Roerich family lived for over six months.  Upon examining the request, the mayor decided to not only preserve the house but to include on the city’s list of cultural sites.

The house, built in the Russian style in the 1920s, was completely restored with the help of various Roerich Societies and Museums of Roerich. The foundation, weather stripping, walls and floors were replaced.

The House-Museum of Roerich opened on 6 July 2009 in Ulaanbaatar on the birthday of the fourteenth Dalai Lama.  The day before the opening, the iron Buddhist stupa made of recycled Soviet armor was placed in the yard in front of the House-Museum. Items of value were placed inside the beautiful stupa which was painted white and decorated in red, green and golden tones according to Buddhist custom. The items included books such as “Shambhala” by Nicholas Roerich, “Foundations of Buddhism” by Helena Roerich in English, “Tibetan Paintings” by Yuri Roerich, 108 volumes of a sacred work entitled “Kangyur” and a statue of the Buddha seated on a golden lotus.

At present, the House-Museum of Roerich in Ulaanbaatar consists of six rooms exhibiting reproductions and copies of the works of Nicholas Roerich, family photos, books, creative works, paintings, statues and artifacts collected by Mongolian associates of Roerich.